The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 08-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
EricFG

book review: "Ivan's War"

subtilted "Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945" by Catherine Merridale.
Copyright 2006.

A Brief review from Amazon:
"This is an excellent book to read in order to understand (in general) what life was like for the average Russian soldier in WWII. The author drew from recently de-classified Russian sources as well as numerous personal interviews with veterans of the Soviet Army.

I was struck many times by the wretched conditions that the Soviets fought in - whether by poor supplies to the front lines (Soviet soldiers were never issued socks, but instead had long "Ace Bandage" type linens that they had to wrap their feet up in), to an uncaring opportunistic Communist bureaucracy that would award a medal as soon as declare you a criminal or simply shoot you. Of course there were many stories from and about the ubiquitous political officers and their attempts at propaganda.

The one thing missing, as has been noted, are the stories of individual actions and "fire-fights". The author attempted to address this as a universal unwillingness of veterans to discuss these aspects with here or simply state that they couldn't remember. I believe her, as the book reveals that WWII on the eastern front was so very brutal, with 1) scorched earth tactics and genocides on both sides, 2) almost no opportunity to escape from the exteme weather conditions, and 3) the ruthless use of manpower by the Russians (some sources state that 15 Soviet soldiers were killed for every 1 German soldier) that fighting was mostly conducted with an animal-like fury that no one wishes to remember."

And my comments:
While not a page-turner it's a nice look at the average Soviet 'grunt' back in the day. So much has been written about the Wehrmacht soldier in Russia it's nice to read about the Red Army soldiers. Some interesting stuff in the book, especially the chapter entitled "Despoil The Corpse" which is all about the Red Army on German soil (in 45). Brutal. Also, a paragraph or two concerning medals.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
roy

Eric,

Thanks for the review of this book! I've located a copy and can't wait for it to arrive in the mail!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
abr

I have purchased this one as well. I find this book a bit too academic, not easy read by any means. I've put it aside after 32 pages in favor of another book I picked at same order: Blood Red Snow -- me***rs of German soldier on Eastern Front.

I just took that book in hands to look trough photos and simply can't stop reading it for 3rd day. Anybody who is interested in WW2 will enjoy it big time. I’m still at Stalingrad battle part of it and it is blast to read!

The only other book that is still beats it: “From Stalingrad to Dnepr”. Post soviet me***rs of Russian soldier. That is most horror book I ever read about the war. Interesting thing from that book, the author says that it was such a fierce battle of Kursk, that a thunderstorm clouds with rain appear over the front line (curved same way as fight line was) while it was clear sky everywhere else. Fascinating reading.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Dolf

Quote:
“From Stalingrad to Dnepr”
Can you please confirm the title? Can't find nothing with that title.
The author would be nice too.

Thanks,

Dolf
Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
abr

Dolf,

I don't think this book was ever translated. If you can read in Russian, I would recommend to get a copy. Here is pictures:

Author: Mansur Abdulin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00417.JPG (36.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00418.JPG (39.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
abr

And this is picture of German soldier book I have mention earlier. I'm almost finished reading..., this guy was totally lucky to survive in absolute hell of front lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xx.jpg (41.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
roy

Here are some very good Soviet me***rs. Of the three, Mansur Abdulin's "Red Road" is the best, followed by "On The Roads of War".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (47.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.JPG (42.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.JPG (48.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Dolf

Thanks guys

No, unfortunatelly I can't read Russian abr

Will do some search for the others.

Cheers,

Dolf
Old 08-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
abr

I have a hitch that Red Road and the book I talking about may be the same thing.

Does "Red Road" book has a chapter about “island of death” or how they stole army rations from Germans in Stalingrad by misleading their air support?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
Lapa

Dolf,

I am 99% certain that "Red Road from Stalingrad" is in fact the book abr talks about.

Marc